We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 13, 2010

Random Beach Pictures

I thought I'd post a few random pictures that didn't really fit into any other vacation posts-- especially since this time next week I'll be sitting in a back-to-school teacher work day meeting. Our students come on Monday, the 23rd. Eeek! Don't get me wrong, this summer has recharged me and I'm excited for the new school year to begin. I'm teaching some new material and am looking forward to it. But...all of the traveling we did has left me wishing for just one more week at home.

Our last full day in Hilton Head, we splurged and rented an umbrella and chairs at the Sea Pines Beach Club. We didn't have to haul anything in a wagon this way.
It was heavenly to have a shady place to read while watching the ocean waves roll in. The heat was almost intolerable, but the comfy chair and the big umbrella (along with some cold ice water and a sno-cone from the bar) made it bearable. The sand was hot on our feet, so Cate found a different way to get around.
On a different day, earlier in the week, Cate supervised her Daddy and Aunt Catherine as they built her a sandcastle.
And since the wind always seemed to pick up at night, Eric bought a cheap kite at Walgreen's to fly on the beach. We had fun goofing off with it (and trying to keep it under control).
Daddy made an attempt to show Cate how to fly it as well.
All good things must come to an end, I know. But I just keep telling myself that once school starts, I'll have 17 weeks of lesson plans, grading, and supervising a student teacher to keep me busy until Brennan's arrival. Then it'll be a busy, challenging, but no doubt, fun 8 months at home with both of my kiddos. And yes, I will be back at this beginning-of-the-school-year stuff around this same time in 2011. While Eric's salary covers our bills, my salary allows us to do all the "fun stuff" like vacations, new clothes, dinners out, weekend trips, zoo passes, museum passes, etc. Well, okay, it also pays the babysitter, but that's just a small part, fortunately. And when it comes down to it, you just can't beat that teacher's schedule. We work our tails off for 185 days a year in and out of the classroom (and yes, we do have things we have to do over the summer...but I don't count that), then we get playtime the rest of the time.

~Melody :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like your trip was a lot of fun! Great news about your little baby boy! How cool to have both a daughter and a son!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

Ive heard the best things about Hilton Head. It on my list of future vacation spots, for sure!