We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Exhausted

The title of this post pretty much sums up how I think Eric, Cate, and I are all feeling. We spent 8 of the last 30 hours in the car (4 hours each way) so that Eric and I could attend my 10 year high school reunion. It was fun catching up those who attended. The turnout wasn't great-- but with it being the time of year when school usually starts (or has started), plus with so many still in med school, vet school, law school, etc., I wasn't all that surprised that not all 363 of us were there. Not to mention that many of my classmates just started jobs after finishing graduate degrees or getting promoted or something, so vacation time and the money to get home were both in short supply. I'm sure we'll have way more people at our 20 year.

Still...the time seemed to fly by and I really enjoyed myself more than I thought I would. None of my "close" high school friends attended. I knew this going in and it made me a little nervous that conversation might lag or that Eric and I would find ourselves in a corner talking only to one another. Neither of those things happened. I think Facebook and blogging are partly responsible since just about everyone in our class is on Facebook and quite a few keep blogs. It made it easy to jump right into conversations with people about recent career changes, or home purchases, marriages, or children.

Sidenote: Cate had a blast playing in the rain with my friend's daughter G (we met up at a local park that really hasn't changed too much since we played there). It was interesting to watch Cate interact with a child younger than her since in our circle of friends in Cincinnati, Cate's pretty much the youngest. When G got upset about something, Cate wasn't sure how to react. Thankfully, she didn't react aggressively as I feared she would since she went through an aggressive pushing stage last winter.

Alas, school starts tomorrow for me. My clothes are laid out (we're encouraged to wear jeans and spirit wear so that all students can find teachers easily). My lunch is packed (yay for homemade chicken salad, Trader Joe's yogurt, an apple fresh from a local farm, and chocolate chip cookies which my husband and daughter are making as I type). My agenda is already written in room 220 on the whiteboard. I'm sure a restless sleep awaits as is usual for the night before school starts. Unless I luck out and this pregnancy puts me into a nice, deep slumber...which is how Cate spent her afternoon after our whirlwind trip.

We got out of the car around 1:30 this afternoon and she went straight to her room, took off her shoes, and climbed into bed. She's been in her big girl bed for over a month and transitioned so smoothly. She loves it. Pass no judgment on the pacifiers though. She only uses them at home when she's sleeping. We're going to have her leave them out one night soon for the "pacifier fairy" who will turn them into a small reward for her and new pacifiers for Brennan. Okay, time for my pacifier now-- some hot sleepy-time tea.







~Melody :-)

P.S. The start of school also means less blogging for me. Don't give up on me though. I promise to post at least once a week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the tired thing and I'm not pregnant. ;) Glad you got home safely. Last night was fun and it was great to see you.

Emily said...

Glad you had such a good time! Cate is getting SOOO big! I can't believe it! Good luck at school today. :)

Jill (Lady Lazarus) said...

It was great seeing you and Eric! Hope your first day of school goes well :-)

Aunt B and 3 said...

So sweet to see your big-little girl in my baby Jenn's bed! She looks like an angel and I love the array of binkies-at-the-ready. Sweet dreams Princess Cate.

Love, Aunt B

Carly said...

Glad that you made it to the reunion. It was at about the wost possible time for me between teacher planning and the start of school. Glad that you had a fun time!