We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, April 1, 2011

Five Question Friday

It's been awhile. Scratch that. It's been a long time since I participated in 5QF at My Little Life.

My sweet girl woke up 3 times last night, once screaming that she still had sand in her eyes from the sand table at the Children's Museum. Brennan woke up to eat, but not during any of the 3 times I was already awake with his sister. I normally have a no blogging when the kids are awake rule, but I'm making an exception today. Because otherwise I might be on the couch falling asleep to Sesame Street. So since Cate is busy taking off/putting back on the eggs on our egg tree (centerpiece on our dining room table right now) and Brennan is snuggled up in my lap, I figured a little 5QF, coupled with some coffee from my favorite local roaster(oh man do I adore their Mackinac Island Fudge flavor, might wake me up. Here goes:

1. Have you ever had surgery?
Yes, wisdom teeth out when I was a senior in high school. Days before Christmas. Christmas dinner was buttered noodles for me that year. Elbow surgery the summer after my freshman year of college. I broke my elbow playing on a too old swingset with some friends before Bible study. It was our first Bible study since we'd all returned from college. I had surgery again 8 months later to remove 2 of the 4 screws put in during the first surgery. I recovered more range of motion than the doctor's expected, but still can't touch my left hand to my shoulder during "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes." And it is a little tricky to put on my Boba carrier for B.

2. Ever ride in an ambulance?
Yes to this as well. The first time was when I broke my elbow. My parents didn't believe my friend when she called them and thought maybe it was a broken arm or something. They wanted to come get me and take me to urgent care. Thankfully, my friend kept telling them it didn't look right and I was acting weird (kept asking for water-- I later learned that it was because I was in shock) and called an ambulance. She rode in the front seat and met my parents there. Three days in the hospital and 1 surgery later and it was clear that urgent care would've been way unprepared for my elbow.

The second time was with Cate after she had a febrile seizure at 20 months old. She really wasn't THAT sick. In fact, other than a fever, she'd been normal all day. So I let the Tylenol wear off because I didn't think it was necessary. Her temperature rose too quickly (from 99 to 102ish in a matter of minutes) and sent her into a seizure.

3. How are you in a medical emergency? Panicked? Calm?
I'm great and go into action. I look calm and like I know what I'm doing. And then when it's all over I feel like I'm gonna throw up. It has a lot to do with the anxiety I battle. I'm praying and working on moving away from that after-effect.

4. Do you have a garden? Flowers or veggies?
Flowers out front. We had a strawberry bed the first couple of years we lived in our house that the previous owners had started. Unfortunately weeds and animals overtook it. We're re-doing our backyard this summer (making a bigger patio, landscaping a little more, etc.). I'm excited to make some big, raised, planter boxes with their own floors (so no weeds) to plant some tomatoes, green peppers, and herbs this summer. Maybe we'll try strawberries again too.

5. When did you move out of your parents' house?
The summer in between my junior and senior years of college. I lived in L.A. that summer while I worked with Johns Hopkins University's Center for Talented Youth. I came back to town before I started student teaching and moved in with my grandmother (dad's mom) since she lived 4 miles from the school I was assigned to for student teaching. I love her and everything, but she proved a little difficult to live with. I was already engaged to Eric, so we went apartment hunting. Thanksgiving that year, I moved into the apartment that would be ours once we got married.

Sigh. Some of my friends' kids are on spring break this week. They're all going to see Hop this afternoon. I'm debating on whether or not we should go. I feel like it might be a $7 nap for me. I mean, this is kind of the state we're in right now:




~Melody :-)

No comments: