We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 21, 2009

The Little Bag That Could

Meet The Little Bag That Could!


I made this bag all on my own this week and am so very proud. I saw it in a sewing for baby book that I bought for a couple of books at the Friends of the Public Library book sale this summer. It's supposed to be a small-ish diaper bag. While a summer of sewing with my grandmother doesn't make me an expert by any means, I did find that some of the assembly and sewing instructions were a little out of order or just "off." And I wish the strap was longer. I do plan to make another one soon...I'll probably add a few inches to the strap and assemble it in a little different order (the way it is now leaves a few "rough" spots on the bag). But I love the button/ribbon closure (it's pretty much an open top besides this) and the two outside pockets which are the perfect size for books.

And speaking of books...the two latest that I've read are below.
Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist is a book I finished shortly before we went to Hilton Head. It's basically her collection of faith-based essays on life, motherhood, and being an adult. I LOVED it! I identified with her in so many ways, especially her "Old House" essay (I'm an old house kind of person too). I wish I knew her in real life...or I'd at least like to have coffee with her sometime.
Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fattah was my required summer reading for school. Everyone in our department is reading a young adult fiction book this summer in which the main character is of a different culture. We're getting together on Tuesday to discuss our reads. This book follows Jamilah, a Lebanese-Muslim high school sophomore in Australia who tries to hide her cultural background at school in order to be more popular. While it was fairly predictable and definitely aimed at teenage readers, it wasn't too bad of a book. There were moments of humor and the "just be yourself" message is an important one for students in the grade I teach. It was a quick read too as the author keeps the plot moving along.

I don't think I'll get another book in by the time school starts (the kids come next Thursday), but hopefully I'll have the time to read (and blog) about a couple of books this fall.

~Melody :-)




No comments: