I guess I'm going to have to eat my words tomorrow when I go back to school. This time last week, when we got a bunch of snow on Sunday and didn't have a snow day, I told my students that the chances of getting a snow day before winter break were slim. But I didn't think a delay was out of the question. And I was excited when I got the call last night that we were on a delay (it stinks when you're already up and dressed and about to walk out the door and then you get the delay call). So I set my alarm to get up an hour earlier and allowed myself a little extra knitting time last night. Much to my surprise, when I woke up this morning, we had a snow day!
It really isn't too bad out now. I think it was just the snow's timing. And the fact that the school where I teach is 20-ish minutes to the northeast from my house sometimes means that they get a little more snow (or rain or sunshine or whatever the weather happens to be doing). The schools around our house were all open-- though most on delays.
So with a day to spend with my sweet girl, who will be an only-child for no more than 9 more days, we decided to head to the Museum Center. It was empty. Either because kids were in school or no one wanted to venture out. So Cate had the sand table......the blocks...
...and the dollhouse...
...all to herself. And I only had my cell phone to document our excursion, hence the poor photo quality.
This afternoon will be spent napping, grading the last few packets from a project I assigned (and don't want to leave the grading to a substitute should Brennan come early), and knitting (I'm on the last side of Brennan's blanket). We'll probably play in the basement, and if we're brave we'll play outside in the snow. I'm also kind of waiting out some symptoms Cate has been exhibiting of late to see if they merit taking her to the doctor for a possible ear infection-- she's said her ear hurts and her temperature is just below 100...off and on. She's also been a little calmer/lethargic than normal. But it could also be the heat turned up in our house b/c of the cold, the fact that she has the sniffles, and the fact that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights are all catching up to her (she was up late all three nights and up early the next mornings). I don't want to run to the doctor for nothing, but I don't want to take my chances with Brennan's imminent arrival either. So we're just waiting it out. If she continues to complain about her ear (which she said felt better all day) or if her temperature gets into triple digits, we'll be spending some time on this snowy day at the pediatrician's as well. Hopefully it's nothing and we can avoid that.
Anyway...she's sound asleep, so I guess it's time to knock the napping part off my afternoon to-do list. Happy Snow Day to those of you enjoying one.