We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, May 11, 2009

Not Me Monday



It's been quite a week at our house. And it's quite time for some confessions. Check out the MckMama blog for more Not Me Monday fun.

This little girl did NOT turn 15 months old last week. She is still NOT walking (though she is taking steps on her own at least a little every day and loves to walk when you hold her hand).
I am NOT pretty sure that she knows the word "booger" since that's definitely what it sounds like coming out of her mouth and Eric calls her that when she's being stubborn and won't walk.

We did NOT wish a Happy Mother's Day to our little bird that nested in our hanging basket yesterday. Yes, those are three, live, day-old babies in the nest (we snapped a picture while she was off of them for a quick minute). We do NOT call the one who has yet to hatch Cate because it's a little late.
And speaking of Mother's Day, Eric did NOT make me the coolest journal ever. Yes, MADE this. The journal on the left is one I made him for Easter using two photographs I took (you can't see the one on the back). While hanging out at our favorite coffee shop/art gallery at the end of April, we saw these awesome hand-sewn journals. Since my journal is almost full, I made a comment about how I might have to go back and get one. Using only his memory, needle and thread, some ribbon, and a few of my other crafting supplies, Eric was able to make a similar journal (the one on the right below), which is much better in my opinion. Yes, he SEWED it! I have the best husband ever! He is too creative. Apparently this kept him busy for a few hours one night when I was in the hospital and Cate was in bed.
Eric has been and continues to be awesome as I've walked through this illness, whatever it is. He handled single-parenting like a pro and has made sure that everything I needed was taken care of. He even downloaded a movie to my iPod and brought it to me in the hospital along with a coloring book, crayons, and cool twist-up pencils (I love Crayola).

I don't want to joke about being in the hospital though, because, well, I'm just not there yet. But I will give you a little update. I have been symptom free since about 7pm last night when I had a very small, 10-minute or so bout of nausea. I have been able to eat bland foods just fine and am looking forward to re-introducing my favorite staple foods of fruits, veggies, granola, yogurt, and cheese back into my diet (my GI system has been through a lot in the last 11 days, so I have to be careful to not upset it with food I've eaten). The lab results from my general family doctor (I went to him early last week) showed that everything was normal other than the infection (got that call this morning). I won't have the more extensive hospital lab results until next week. There is a part of me that hopes there is some kind of diagnosis so that I can have a plan to follow, some steps to take to get better, something with a "cure," if you want to put it that way. But a larger part of me hopes that it was just an infection that spread into my GI system and didn't show symptoms until it got really, really bad. Then there doesn't have to be a plan, or a pill, or a "cure." I can just be done with all of this.

The last 11 or so days have been rough. I barely saw Eric or Cate, even when I was at home, because I felt too sick to get out of bed. I found myself crying out to God at all hours for healing, or at the very least, the patience to endure whatever was going on and for wisdom for my doctors. I don't believe God is punishing me for something, as some might tend to think. God is good and merciful. But I do believe that sometimes God allows things to happen to us in order to grow our faith. And I do believe that the one good thing that has come out of all of this, for me anyway, is a stronger faith-- a stronger reliance on Him as the ultimate physician.

The last 11 days have also given me a humble appreciation for my health, which I so often take for granted. And for health insurance-- I know there are a lot of people out there who would have foregone the hospital and doctors and "toughed it out" simply because they lack the necessary funds to seek treatment.

But I've digressed and rambled here long enough. I am excited to return to work tomorrow. It's sunny out and I'm excited to take a little walk tonight with Cate, Eric, and Zoey. And of course, I'll let you know next week, what, if anything, else shows up.

~Melody :-)


No comments: