We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer Reading Part 2

I'd like to revisit summer reading for a minute. Cate is a pretty good napper, so I got a lot done. My original list looked like this:
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
How to be Good by Nick Hornby
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 by Steve Stockman
Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella
Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin

On Chesil Beach was fantastic! A little racy subject matter wise, but beautifully written. Unaccustomed Earth was definitely my favorite of the summer.
Shopaholic Ties the Knot and Love the One You're With were just fun summer reads (but both a lot of fun...I especially enjoyed that the Giffin book took place part of the time in Atlanta, where my parents are moving).

I didn't make it to How to Be Good, Bel Canto, Velvet Elvis, or Walk On, so they'll remain on my list for fall .

I also strayed a little from my list too. I read: The Monsters of Templeton (a little weird, but good); The Beach House (Jane Green is my favorite chick lit. author); Endangered Minds (had to read it for a class but wound up finding it kind of interesting); Twilight (I now see what all the fuss is about as my students loved this book last year...guess I'll have to read the rest of the series); When You are Engulfed in Flames (I love Sedaris and while there were good stories in this one, it's not his best, but again, still good); Child 44 (great plot, kind of creepy); The Heroines (good until about halfway through and then it was awful...probably my least favorite of the summer); and Sundays at Tiffany's (which was just heartwarming...I loved it). I'm reading Love is a Mix Tape right now and will hopefully finish it by the time school actually starts.

I also read a lot to Cate. She's a fan of Are You my Mother?, Skippy Jon Jones (but only when Eric does Skippy's voice in a Spanish accent), Miss Spider, and the plastic bath time edition of Rainbow Fish.

~Melody :-)

PS...Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of our blog!!!! Thanks for reading about us!

No comments: