We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 4, 2010


Disclaimer/Warning: This post pretty much talks about poop since that's what we're dealing with at our house right now. So if that grosses you out, read no further. But since this blog's original purpose is to keep our wonderful out of town family and friends up to date on everything we choose to share about our lives, we're choosing to share this update.

I know I said in my last post that I thought Cate was on the mend, but I thought wrong. We sent her to my friend, her sitter 3 days during the day Thursday, and she held it all day. When Thursday evening came around with not a BM in site despite Miralax, prune juice, and Activia yogurt, it was time for another call to the pediatrician, who once again recommended urgent care.

The good news was that after an exam at urgent care, the doctors could find no solid blockage. Cate just needed to let it out-- it wouldn't be painful because it wasn't one large mass. The bad news was that it was Friday afternoon before she finally was pumped so full of fiber and Miralax (our pediatrician followed up with us on Friday and said to put it in everything she drank until she had several BM's), that she had no choice but to go. Eric stayed home with her and said she really didn't cry-- just whined. So the pain clearly wasn't as severe.

I did not go to urgent care with them on Thursday night because in Eric's words, I "needed to stay home and grow Brennan and even though [he] knew [I] wouldn't sleep, at least [I] could stay horizontal in low lighting while waiting for [them] to get home."

With all the excitement this week, Eric tried once again to be the superhero hubby that he is and volunteered to get up with Cate if she were to get up last night (Friday night). He did just that, but by 6am, his own immune system failed (or something didn't agree with him or the week just caught up with him), and he was sick. Cate and I left him to rest and headed out for a walk to the park and the coffee shop. By the time we got back, Cate was ready to nap (she got up at 5:20 this morning), as was Mommy, and Daddy was feeling better and eating again.

I'm happy to say that Cate isn't crying or freaking out nearly as much about going to the bathroom, so the pain must be lessening for her. And we've changed so many dirty diapers between last night and today, that we feel comfortable going back to giving her only two doses of Miralax a day (what she was originally prescribed) instead of a dose with every drink. It's tough to see your own kid in pain and it's wonderful when they start smiling and feeling better again. And after the week we've had, I think we're all looking forward to a solid 8 hours or more of sleep tonight. Thanks to everyone who has kept Cate in their prayers-- especially my aunt who made us laugh when she told us "this too shall pass." Literally.

~Melody :-)

No comments: