We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers. - I Thessalonians 1:2


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten

Ten years ago I was a naive, selfish college sophomore. After an 8am theater class, one of my best friends and I headed back to my dorm room. We busted out the mid-morning snacks, put on a DVD of Friends and settled in to watch until our next class. A few minutes later, the girl across the hall (we went to high school together too), knocked on the door and asked if we were watching the TV. She said that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. I turned on the TV. I clung to my friend. The world seemed to stop.

The rest of the day I felt like I was going through the motions. The attacks were all that anyone talked about in class, at my physical therapy appointment, in the student center. I think we were all waiting for something else to happen. Miami cancelled classes that Friday. At only one other time in the university's history had they ever cancelled all classes (for a non-weather issue).

Thankfully nothing else happened.

This morning I nursed a sleepy Brennan as I watched the early morning news shows preparing for coverage of the remembrance ceremony in New York. I thanked God for those that keep this country safe. That keep my family safe. The thousands of military men and women, police officers, fire fighters, paramedics. And maybe a part of me is still that naive college sophomore. Because I also prayed that my children will only ever read about terrorism in their history books.
Praying for peace for all today.

~Melody :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Touching words. Naturally, I too was a naive sophomore in college. I remember sitting in a Political Theory class with someone dragging in a television for us all to glue our eyes to the horror. I agree with your sentiments about thanking those who keep us all safe. Thanks for posting.